Evening Blue: Deluxe Leather Case Book Set Version
- Release Date 03 February 2017
- In Stock
- Product code
- Vinyl Box Set
- Hidden Masters
Custom leather case, Liberty-print lined, blind-blocked tag. Hand made by Steph Wood - each unique.
- Customer's name in the credits for this and other editions.
- Personalised and signed.
- Also includes two 162cm x 202cm Archival Giclée* prints printed on 260gsm Photo Lustre paper:
- Solarised At The Kirk - the portrait of Chris shot by Brian Cooke on March 1st 1970 at The Kirklevington Country Club in North Yorkshire hand numbered, personalised and signed by the photographer.
- The Analog Tape Box Collage 1, personalised, hand numbered and signed by Steph Wood.
Evening Blue comprises:
i) A first pressing of Chris’s never-released solo LP on 180gsm vinyl.
Long thought lost, the masters were discovered by chance in a barn in the West of England during the spring of 2013. Chris compiled and sequenced the ¼” reels with engineer Terry Barham at Island’s Fall Out Shelter studio in Hammersmith on Sunday, October 1st 1978. None of these selections have been heard before.
ii) It will be housed in a 200+ page hardback book which includes over 420 images, the majority of which are previously unseen.
The text has been abridged and edited from Dan Ropek’s biography of Chris which includes interviews with the late Jim Capaldi and Paul Medcalf as well as many of Chris’s friends and musical colleagues. Evening Blue also includes exclusive interviews with Steph Wood and Anna Capaldi-Gilbey, studio engineers Dick Cuthell, Terry Barham and Brian Humphries, musicians Mike Kellie, Steve Winwood, Poli Palmer, Pete Bonas and Gordon Jackson, photographers Brian Cooke and Gered Mankowitz, as well as Muscle Shoals Swampers Charles Rose and David Hood.
iii) The 4 CDs include music drawn from Chris’s entire career. His solo recordings take centre-stage with alternate takes and mixes, never before heard demos and other sketches included. Naturally, selections from Traffic feature as well as his collaborations with John Martyn, Dave Mason, The Sky, Jim Capaldi, Bobby Whitlock, Ginger Baker’s Airforce, Hanson, Gordon Jackson, Free, Shawn Phillips, Fat Mattress, Martha Velez and others.
Evening Blue contains Chris’s previously unheard recordings with The Wailers’ keyboard player, Tyrone Downie as well as Rebop Kwaku Baah, Remi Kabaka, Dr John and Jeanette Jacobs. Studio recordings from the only known-to-survive sessions by the short-lived Mason, Capaldi, Wood & Frog line-up are included as are tracks from their only BBC live session.
With only a couple of exceptions (where the original masters no longer exist) the set has been re-mastered by Richard Whittaker in the UK from the original 1⁄4”, 1” or 2” analog tapes.
Over four years in development, the first edition of Evening Blue (curated in close collaboration with Steph Wood who administers her brother’s Estate) is limited to 1,000, individually numbered copies worldwide and will be issued by HiddenMasters on June 24th, 2016 – Chris’s birthday.
--- --- ---
*Giclée prints are a by-word for fine art prints and the preferred medium for museums and photographic galleries. Giclée prints are made in either a 10 or 12 colour process (as opposed to standard CMYK) and printed at 1200 dpi using Archival inks to create an image that has a richness of tone with a higher degree of accuracy than is available in any other reproduction technique. Since the inks are UV stable, Giclée prints will last a lifetime.
*The Giclée prints offered within this enhanced edition will only be available during the pre-ordering period.
*This poster edition is limited to a maximum of 33 only – with three artists proofs being created.
*Should this edition not reach its maximum take-up, the quantity pre-ordered will constitute the final edition number.
Important Shipping Details:
Each book-set will be dispatched by courier delivery.
Posters will be dispatched separately.
CD1 replicates the vinyl and includes 5 additional tracks.
1. Song For Pete (2.56)
2. See No Man Girl (5.28)
3. Letter One (2.09)
4. Barbed Wire (3.56)
5. Don’t It (6.03)
6. Jam In Butter (4.34)
7. Moon Child Vulcan (4.19)
8. Tone Blind Rhythm Deaf (3.29)
9. Birth In A Day (8.05)
10. No. 4 B Side (1.56)
11. Barbed Wire – take #3 Alt-R mix (3.59)
12. Birth In A Day – take #3 CW mix (5.13)
13. Song For Pete – studio rehearsal take #2 (4.23)
14. See No Man Floral Dance (7.25)
ALL tracks on Vinyl + CD1 are previously unreleased.
1. Piano #1 – Chris Wood (1.42)*
2. Love – Traffic (3.15)
3. Outside In – John Martyn (8.22)
4. Come Here Sweet Man – Martha Velez (5.11)
5. Flutered – Chris Wood (2.14)*
6. Early In The Morning (live at the Royal Albert Hall) – Airforce (11.33)
7. Song For Freedom – Gordon Jackson (4.50)
8. Automatic Reggae – Tyrone Downie (3.26)*
9. Sullen Moon (Sinewave take #1) – Chris Wood (3.06)*
10. Zagapam (take #2) – Rebop Kwaku Baah (3.53)*
11. Jarn 1 (take #3) – Mason, Capaldi, Wood and Frog (6.32)*
12. There In The Greenbriar (take #2) – Sky (4.12)*
13. Diggin’ On You (home demo) –Dr John, Jeanette Jacobs and Chris Wood (3.01)*
14. Just For You – Dave Mason (2.16)
15. The Fame Groove – Chris Wood (3.52)*
16. Lamb – Chris Wood and Stuart Carr (1.12)*
17. No Time To Live – Traffic (5.20)
1. Piano #2 – Chris Wood (2.12)*
2. On A Theme Of… Mason, Capaldi, Wood and Frog (6.44)*
3. Steph’s Tune – Tyrone Downie (5.05)*
4. 40,000 Headmen – Traffic (3.15)
5. So Much In Love With You – John Martyn (2.49)
6. Cinnamon Girl (first rehearsal/take #3) – Spiteri and Chris Wood (2.29)*
7. Tragic Magic – Traffic (6.39)
8. Polo No. 1 (sketch) – Chris Wood (1.36)*
9. Game Called Life – Bobby Whitlock (4.15)
10. Snakes And Ladders – Gordon Jackson (5.54)
11. Out Of Tune With The Universe (home demo) – Jeanette Jacobs, Dr John and Chris Wood (2.51)*
12. Meteorite – Remi Kabaka (4.12)*
13. Ley It Up – Chris Wood and Vinden Wylde (2.42)*
14. Sold On Down The Line – Crawler (3.50)
15. Waiting On You (live at the BBC) – Mason, Capaldi, Wood and Frog (3.36)*
16. For RFK, JFK, MLK – Shawn Phillips (5.50)
17. Sullen Moon (demo) – Chris Wood and Tyrone Downie (5.24)*
18. John Barleycorn – Traffic (6.27)
19. Zola – Chris Wood (1.28)*
1. Piano #3 – Chris Wood (3.45) *
2. What To Look For… with Maps and Chris Wood (7.01) *
3. Vulcan (the Aurora collaboration) – Chris Wood and Spiteri (4.34) *
4. Coloured Rain – Traffic (2.45)
5. Sing To Me Woman – Gordon Jackson (5.25)
6. Dealer – Traffic (3.12)
7. Barbed Wire (Take #2 Alt-W mix) – Chris Wood (4.25)
8. Mourning Sad Morning – Free (5.05)
9. Evening Blue – Traffic (5.18)
10. Feelin’ Alright? (live at the BBC) – Mason, Capaldi, Wood and Frog (3.44)*
11. All Black Festival – Remi Kabaka (3.24)*
12. Three Hours – Nick Drake (5.10)
13. Steph’s Dub – Tyrone Downie (3.49)*
14. Spring Too – Chris Wood and Stuart Carr (1.52)*
15. Rainmaker – Traffic (7.48)
16. Seagull – Jim Capaldi (4.20)
17. Sylvanæ – Chris Wood (0.37)*
ALL titles marked * are previously unreleased.
More products from Chris Wood
- Chris Wood
- Evening Blue Book Set + Solarised At The Kirk Print
- CD Box Set
- US $226.00
- In Stock
- Numbered 34 - 66